Sunday, October 11, 2009

Tummy Ache


Tummy aches in dogs always scare me because:

a) I'm a hypochondriac when it comes to my dog
b) My dog can't talk and so he can't tell me exactly what's wrong
c) There have been so many food recalls it seems like nothing is safe anymore


Uh, all of the above. I rarely go to the doctor for myself but have been to the vet several times this year for Bill. Bill's got a lump in his throat... (Oh, those are lymph nodes?) Bill's got a bump on his leg... (Oh, that's a bug bite?) Bill's got a lump on his shoulder... (Oh, that's just a normal reaction from his vaccine?) And on and on we go - the truth is that my boy Bill does produce quite a few random bumps, and since Boston's are prone to mast cell tumors I guess I'm not that crazy to get them checked out.

Anyway, back to the stomachache (does that word look weird or am I nuts? Spellcheck says it's fine). He seems fine, running and playing like usual, but his explosive you-know-what is telling me otherwise. He spent a few hours at the grandparent's house last night, and this morning I fed him a new wet food called "Core." I don't know if they fed him something that didn't agree, there is something wrong with this new food, or maybe he just ate too many sticks. Then again, if sticks were the culprit, wouldn't the fiber be more likely to make him backed up?

Well, we'll have to wait and see. It could be the dog flu but he's not vomiting and I don't think his nose is particularly runny. I didn't find much information online in my quick search about what to do for a tummy ache, but from being in rescue I know we can give dogs Bismuth Subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol). Apparently it can be fatal for cats. If you give it to your dog, be sure to read up on the right dosage first.

For now it looks like we're just in for a stinky night. Hold your nose... I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment